The Family Trillos Colombian Christmas Turkey, Stuffed with Rice, Fruit, & Nuts
This is a recipe from my dear friends and second family, the Trillos. It invariably becomes everyone’s favorite stuffing after they try it.
1 medium turkey
-to marinate & baste:
4 stalks of celery
1 large onion, grated
1 Tbs. cumin
2 cans of beer
Salt & Pepper to taste
4 cups cooked white rice
6 strips of bacon, cooked and diced
12 pieces of salami, diced
¼ cup dried apricots, diced
¼ cup prunes, diced
¼ cup green olives, sliced
¼ cup slivered almonds
¼ cup pine nuts
* you can add any dried fruits or nuts that you like
- 48 hours in advance, mix the basting ingredients together and marinate the turkey.
- Place in the refrigerator for 48 hours, basting constantly
- On the day of, preheat the oven to 350°
- Mix the stuffing ingredients in a large bowl
- Stuff the turkey with the mixture and reserve most of the basting liquid
- Place stuffed turkey in the oven, baste constantly until internal temperature reaches 180°
Go back to Recipes
- Colombian Christmas Turkey, Pavo Navideño (lasesana.wordpress.com)
- Aunt Julies’ Roast Turkey Stuffing (gail1booboo.wordpress.com)
- European Roast Turkey (kylielovescooking.wordpress.com)
- Cheesecloth Roasted Turkey with Homemade Turkey Stock, Gravy and Stuffing (makingitwithdanielle.com)
This rice looks INCREDIBLE!
It is! You have to try it, it is the easiest stuffing- sometimes I just make it with chicken because I can’t wait for the holidays!
I would cook that stuffing just by itself! Love those ingredients.
I do that too!
sounds like a delicious and nutty idea
nutty and fruity!
It looked good until I saw the apricots and prunes!
you can substitute them for any dried fruit you like- maybe cranberries?
I’m usually not a fruity guy, but I am trying to learn.
A little fruit is always good 🙂
Is this what you are going to make for nochebuena? I am going to starve myself so that I can have lots! YUM!
You said it! I’m making 1 turkey, 1 pernil, and both kinds of stuffing- then I’m putting it in my car and taking it all over to my aunt and uncle’s. Starving myself as well!
I whole heartedly agree with both 😉
AYYYYYY eres tu, tio!!