Five quick facts about cucamelons
- Melothria scabra are native to Mexico and Central America, where they are believed to have been domesticated before western contact
- Other common names include mouse melon, Mexican sour gherkin, Mexican miniature watermelon and Mexican sour
- Cucamelons can be grown from seeds, taking three months to mature.
- Cucamelons look like miniature watermelons, roughly the size of a grape and taste similar to a cucumber with a hint of lime.
- Cucamelons are savory fruits ideal for salads and pickling.