5 quick facts about persimmons
by Brad Greenlee bgreenlee, Flickr Creative Commons
1. Persimmons belong to the genus Diospyros, and like tomatoes, persimmons are technically berries
by TANAKA Juuyoh (田中十洋), Flickr Creative Commons
2. Persimmons originated in China, eventually brought to California in the mid-1800s. China is the world’s top persimmon producer.
by Tom Brandt born1945 Flickr Creative Commons
3. The name persimmon roughly translates from Greek into “fruit of the Gods”
by Koshy Koshy Flickr CC
4. Persimmons are high in dietary fiber and can help promote weight loss and improve digestive system function. They are also high in Vitamins A, C and K.
Kristen Taylor kthread
5. Due to their high tannin content, it is not recommended to eat too many persimmons or eating them on an empty stomach.