LUCIA’S AMAZING PICKLED GREEN TOMATO ANTIPASTO
4 ½ cups white vinegar
1 cup water
¼ cup salt
8 garlic cloves, sliced thin
4 bay leaves
4 Tbs. oregano
4 Tbs. thyme
4 cups olive oil
4 medium glass jars
- Slice the tomatoes very thin using a mandolin or the slicer attachment on a food processor.
- Arrange the tomato slices in a flat glass or plastic (non-metal) container in layers, sprinkling salt on each layer before arranging the next.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and leave out for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, drain the tomato slices and return to the container.
- Mix 4 cups of white vinegar, 1 cup of water, and 1 Tbs. salt. Add this mixture to the tomatoes, making sure that they are fully covered by the liquid.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and leave another 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, drain and discard the liquid
- Wash the jars in hot water, dry them, and swirl white vinegar to sterilize them. Air- dry the jars, discard the vinegar.
- Stack 5-6 tomato slices and place in the bottom of a jar. Add a few garlic slivers, sprinkle with oregano and thyme. Repeat until the jar is full and add a bay leaf to the side. Fill completely with olive oil, making sure not to leave any air pockets.
Store in the refrigerator.
These should keep about a month, but they never last that long at our house! Serve on their own, as part of antipasto, in sandwiches, or salads.