LUCIA’S AMAZING PICKLED GREEN TOMATO ANTIPASTO
4 ½ cups white vinegar
1 cup water
¼ cup salt
8 garlic cloves, sliced thin
4 bay leaves
4 Tbs. oregano
4 Tbs. thyme
4 cups olive oil
4 medium glass jars
- Slice the tomatoes very thin using a mandolin or the slicer attachment on a food processor.
- Arrange the tomato slices in a flat glass or plastic (non-metal) container in layers, sprinkling salt on each layer before arranging the next.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and leave out for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, drain the tomato slices and return to the container.
- Mix 4 cups of white vinegar, 1 cup of water, and 1 Tbs. salt. Add this mixture to the tomatoes, making sure that they are fully covered by the liquid.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and leave another 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, drain and discard the liquid
- Wash the jars in hot water, dry them, and swirl white vinegar to sterilize them. Air- dry the jars, discard the vinegar.
- Stack 5-6 tomato slices and place in the bottom of a jar. Add a few garlic slivers, sprinkle with oregano and thyme. Repeat until the jar is full and add a bay leaf to the side. Fill completely with olive oil, making sure not to leave any air pockets.
Store in the refrigerator.
These should keep about a month, but they never last that long at our house! Serve on their own, as part of antipasto, in sandwiches, or salads.
- Tomato tarts au gratin (30smagazine.wordpress.com)
- Time to chow down on Chow Chow (canucanit.wordpress.com)
- Eggplant Parmesan Parmigiana (gourmetaffaires.wordpress.com)
Thanks for the like on my Lemon Poppy Seed muffins. Love that your Pickle tomato recipe is raw. Raw pickled veggies are sooooo healthy for you.
And so YUMMY! This recipe is a little involved and takes 3 days, but it is worth it!
I am so sorry, I know this is an old post but I have been looking all over for these “Italian pickled” green tomatoes. If you don’t mind sharing, do you rinse the salt from your tomatoes before adding the vinegar to them? Thank you!!
No, the salt dissolve and you drain the water, but no need to rinse
Thank you so much for the response!!